Monday, December 26, 2011

Favorite Albums of 2011 #27: "Going Out in Style" by Dropkick Murphys

Dropkick Murphys could keep releasing the same album every two to four years and I'd be content. That's more or less what they've done since 1998. Some records had a bit more energy and/or showcased stronger songwriting than others, I've thought. My favorites are Do or Die (1998) and Blackout (2003). I thought The Gang's All Here (1999) and The Warrior's Code (2005) were just ok and Sing Loud, Sing Proud (2001) and The Meanest of Times (2007) fell somewhere in between. Album number seven, Going Out in Style, isn't going to become one of my favorites, but it's got everything that has made this band great: singable melodies, spirited energy, and themes of blue-collar solidarity. I am completely uninterested in experimentation or diversity when it comes to these guys. I can't imagine what one could do to celtic punk to "break the mold"; just play it with passion and we'll know if you mean what you say. Many of these tracks are DKM at their best (or thereabouts), especially "Hang 'Em High," "The Hardest Mile" and "Peg 'O My Heart." The ballads are also especially strong (see "Cruel" and "1953") and "Take 'Em Down" is a joyful folk tune for which the percussion, if my ears serve me well, is provided by feet stamping on a wood floor. It's an effective substitute for drums.

The list so far:
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27. Dropkick Murphys - Going Out in Style
28. Indian - Guiltless
29. WU LYF - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
30. Manchester Orchestra - Simple Math

No comments:

Post a Comment