Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Favorite Albums of 2011 #26 through 22

I'm just going to breeze through these, quick and simple-like. Don't have the time to go into too much detail on each of these, plus I've already heard my first album of 2012 and am excited for new tunes. Plus, I want to bury that massive "favorite songs" post. What was I thinking? The page takes forever to load.

Anyway, here are more albums that made 2011 as special as it was:


26: Little Dragon - Ritual Union

Third album from this Swedish band whom I had the pleasure of discovering this year. It's a good recipe for hype-machine stuff, spacey electronic textures and vocals that try to be eccentric. Had a very coy attitude throughout; sort of like soul music meets electropop.





25: Weedeater - Jason... The Dragon

I listen to a lot of metal but it's usually the sludge metal albums that capture the most of my attention these days. Weedeater really captured that sound here, on their fourth LP. The guitar is tuned so low, and is so earth-shaking-ly heavy that it becomes a spectacle in and of itself. That's why I listen to this stuff; the title track is especially great. It's like Black Sabbath but darker and heavier.



24: Low - C'mon

This is album number nine for Low, whose first three albums were slow, bleak and atmospheric. They've evolved over the years, experimenting with different tempos (from very slow to slowish) and different sonic textures. C'mon is among their more accessible albums. It's still slow and somber throughout, but it's vocals command attention and there's such depth revealed by close attention (banjo works well on "Witches")! It's amazing how much this band has been able to do within the confines of their subgenre. I'd list them as one of the essential bands of the last twenty years.

23: This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket

These songs evolve slowly, often starting as ambient noise and subtly transitioning into massive, loud waves of pounding guitar noise. I found myself really enjoying the sounds on this album and there's surprising variation among them. Lots of atmosphere to be found here. Blink (or take a bathroom break) while this is playing and you'll miss lots.




22. Mates of State - Mountaintops

This quirky husband/wife duo released their follow-up to one of my favorite albums from 2008. All of their music has a happy-go-lucky charm to it, which is why I like it so much. This is pop music at its best; full of hooks and genuine, earnest emotion. It's a charming and somewhat offbeat album and it's so much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment